As expected, Establishment’s favourite stooge is now best friends with Establishment’s latest stooge. The Altaf – Qadri or AL-Qadri alliance, is gearing up for putting up a show on the eve of the 14th January in Islamabad. This would be the first time that a political party that has been in government for over 10 years is going to… wait for it… protest against an election system which it is a part of and has used to enjoy 10 years of government.
So looking at this marriage of convenience (Where ‘convenience’ means ‘Establishment’s Orders’) one is inclined to ask a few questions to the Al – Qadri Alliance.
- If the election system is so wrong and is so grossly flawed, then why has the MQM been a part of it so long? Also was MQM so not smart that it took Tahir-ul-Qadri’s Lahore Show to make them realize that the election system is not the way it is supposed to be.
- Given that Tahir-ul-Qadri does not want to run for elections and neither does his party, then what is the fuss about? I mean think about it, this is a person who does not want to run for elections but wants to change the electoral system which has been agreed upon by all parties sitting in parliament through the 20th Amendment. If he was so serious about it, then where was he when consultations for this were taking place with smaller parties?
- What exactly are the changes that the AL-QADRI alliance wants to see with regards to the electoral system. I mean it is totally cool that they can gather people and put up a show every other week, but what specifically do they want to do. Also haven’t both of them read the 20th amendment that details the process for caretaker set ups to which MQM actually agreed to?
- How is holding a city hostage and asking for constitutional changes without actually going to the parliament, constitutional?
- And lastly, is AL-QADRI believes in democracy as he has stated in multiple interview, then why doesn’t he contest elections instead of trying to get in to a care taker set up. Also has he not learned anything from his years on the political fringe? Has not learned how he is always the pawn who is discarded as soon as the job gets done?
It is imperative that these questions are asked of these two allies or front men as that is what they are. People of Pakistan deserve to know these truths.